Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Day 8: Joshua tree

This is technically a day late because I haven't had service for about 15 hours, but I wrote this in my tent last night. 

When we woke up this morning it was a bittersweet feeling because I knew that our last stop on Route 66 was today. I didn't ever want this part of our roadtrip to end because it's been my dream as a little girl to go down Route 66, but I feel like this has been the happiest I've been in a long time and I haven't been disappointed at all. I'm happy that I went in with zero expectations, it's allowed me to experience everything and take it in for what it is. Today I saw a picture of myself that Lea took of me under the Joshua tree sign and I said "I look so happy." And her response was "you've looked like that all week." Our first stop of the day was in n out. I can't eve explain to you how excited I was, I had to grab Lea's hand as we were pulling into the parking lot. After that we drove for a few hours to the Route 66 diner and ordered malts for our last stop, then another few hours for my favorite place in the whole entire world-- Joshua tree national park. When we got here it was about 6:30 and the sun set at 7:55, so we had to pick our camp site, eat dinner, change, and get ready to hop in the tent in about an hour, because sundown is when the scorpions and rattlesnakes come out to hunt. Needless to say we killed it, set up camp in about 15 minutes. I feel like it's muscle memory at this point. Currently I am sitting in the tent typing this drinking a Grand Canyon ale. Life is really great.  

Edit: 

This morning we woke up and tried going for a hike, but Lea almost walked straight into a baby rattlesnake in our camp site and then on the way to the cactus garden we got attacked by about 30 bees and 5 of them got into the car. I'm never one to kill bees, but two of them were still in the car with us when we drove away with out knowing and started swarming around us in the car. Pretty sure we both have ptsd from this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment