Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Day 14-16: Nevada, Colorado, Monument Vallley

When I left you last I was in goldfield, NV camping next to hotsprings and it was possibly one of the craziest places I have ever camped before. The wild donkeys that were around our tent were up all night making so much noise and then I realized that there were also wild boar and horses outside our tent as well. The horses were pretty magical.

The next day we woke up rather early because we were on a dirt road and wanted to be construction before they blocked us in. So we woke up early and packed up camp, we were out of there before 7:30 and the construction crew had started early, so we had to wait forever for two separate pilot cars to get us through the construction and it added an hour to our already super long drive across Nevada. We ended up getting to our hotel outside of Moab around 6 pm and this was the most interesting hotel Lea and I have ever stayed in. We pull in and we are one of three cars in the parking lot, now mind you, this wasn't a ritsy place by any means, but when we got our room key and walked into the main hotel building I couldn't believe this place was up to code. Parts of the carpet were missing and half of the building was abandoned. It felt like we were walking around a haunted hotel. All the creepiness aside it had a bed and shower and that's all we really cared about, so we got drunk and called it a nightmare.

The next morning we woke up and went into Moab/Arches, it was the most brutal weather I had dealt with so far on the trip. Even harsher than the day Stephen and I went hiking in the red rocks. It was 109 at the top of the traverses that I had to climb to see the delicate arch and by the time I got up I realized I was all alone. Everyone else had turned back from heat exhaustion and I found out later that someone had actually passed out on the trail. I waited at the top under a boulder for shade just thinking to myself that I might pass out on the hike back down because I was feeling pretty woozy and my brain was baking. Then an older wizard looking dude named Rob showed up and started causally talking to me and we decided to walk back down together. He said "I'll follow you down incase you pass out I can catch you and vice versa." So I was all about it. Then when we got to the bottom of the hike he said "do you want some trail mix for your ventures today?" And I responded with "no thanks, I just ate." -plus we had a huge bag of trail mix in the car. And he said "no, it's good trail mix." So I said "right on, I'm in the challenger." πŸ€˜πŸΌπŸ™ƒ

Then after we left Moab it was about a three hour drive to telluride and I was so excited to see Paul, even though he had lunch with me in Indy about a month and a half ago, Paul is like one of my bestfriends and I was stoked to finally see his home. When I got to telluride I was completely floored with how fast I fell in love. I told Paul that I felt at peace when I got into town and he said that the Ute Indians believe the floor of Telluride is sacred and that the Cogi tribe believes that Telluride is the gate way to heaven. We went up on the gondola and I got the see the actual mountain range on the coors light bottles, and then he took me to some hotsprings about 30 miles outside of Telluride. It was so much fun going down to them because we were basically "rock climbing." There was rope for the super steep parts, but I went barefoot and basically just stepped on all the exposed rocks the way down. I met a girl there named Charlie and she and I took fireball shots all night and became great friends. Then I come to find that her uncle owns a bunch of funeral homes in the surrounding areas. She said she could get me a job no problem, so currently I have my heart set on moving to Colorado. On the way back from the hot springs Paul took me by trout lake and in the moon light it seriously took my breath away. We pulled over his truck and we just stared there at it for about 15 minutes and I almost started crying, but started laughing uncontrollably instead and just said "you know Paul, so many people in their lives will never see a sight this beautiful. I sat there memorizing all 9 of the peaks and how the moon was hitting the water and which mountains had snow on them. Probably the most beautiful thing/place I have ever seen.


When I woke up this morning I was mildly hungover, but Lea and I got on the road anyways and set out for monument Valley, which is currently where I am camping. We are looking at all the rock towers in the moon light together, enjoying a beer of course and just living the dream. This will be the last camping night of our trip so it's a little sad, but it's also maybe the coolest stop. All of the sand in monument valley is bright red and the entire area is so beautiful. I love that it's on a Navajo reservation as well. Today I made great friends with a horse named spirit and he was probably the highlight of my day. Good night all, talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment